The Best Ambrosia Custard Recipe You’ll Ever Try!
Ambrosia custard is a traditional British dessert, which dates back to the early 1800s. It is a creamy custard-based pudding, made with eggs, sugar, milk, cream and vanilla. It is usually served cold, either as a stand-alone dessert or as a topping for cakes, pies or other desserts. Ambrosia custard is a rich, comforting and indulgent treat, with a smooth and creamy texture.
The main ingredients for ambrosia custard are:
- 4 eggs
- 200g caster sugar
- 500ml whole milk
- 200ml double cream
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
To make ambrosia custard, you will need:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar until light and creamy.
- Heat the milk and cream in a saucepan over a medium heat until it just starts to boil. Remove from the heat and whisk in the egg and sugar mixture.
- Return the pan to a low heat and stir continuously until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Pour the mixture into a bowl and cover with cling film.
- Chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours before serving.
Once chilled, ambrosia custard can be served as a stand-alone dessert, topped with fresh fruit or served with shortbread. It can also be used as a topping for cakes, pies or other desserts.
There are a few variations on ambrosia custard, including adding grated nutmeg or cinnamon to the mixture for a spiced version, or using lemon or orange zest for a citrus twist. You can also add different types of fruit, such as raspberries, blueberries or blackberries, for a fruity variation.