Chocolate Eclair Recipe: Perfectly Sweet & Delicious
Chocolate Eclair is a delicious pastry made with a light, crispy choux pastry shell filled with a rich and creamy custard or cream and topped with a thick layer of chocolate. It is one of the most popular desserts in France and is often served as a snack or dessert at cafés and restaurants. The eclair is also popular in other parts of the world, including the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom.
History of the Chocolate Eclair
The eclair has been around since the early 19th century, when it was first created in France. The name “eclair” comes from the French word for “flash,” as it is meant to be enjoyed quickly. The original eclair was filled with a vanilla custard and topped with a simple glaze, but over time, other variations have been created. Chocolate eclairs are one of the most popular variations today.
Ingredients and Preparation
The choux pastry used to make eclairs is made from butter, water, flour, and eggs. The pastry is then piped into oblong shapes and baked until golden brown and crisp. The pastry is then filled with a custard or cream, usually flavored with vanilla, and topped with a thick layer of chocolate.
Making the Choux Pastry
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a medium saucepan, combine butter, water, and salt and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and add flour all at once. Stir quickly with a wooden spoon until the dough forms a ball.
- Return the pan to low heat and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, stirring until fully incorporated before adding the next egg.
- Transfer the dough to a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip.
- Pipe the dough into 4-inch (10 cm) lengths onto parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp.
- Let cool completely before filling and topping with chocolate.
Making the Custard or Cream Filling
- In a medium saucepan, combine milk, sugar, and salt and bring to a simmer.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together egg yolks, cornstarch, and vanilla.
- Slowly add the hot milk mixture to the egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter.
- Let cool completely before filling the eclairs.
Assembly and Serving
Once the pastry shells, custard or cream, and chocolate are prepared, the eclairs can be assembled. To assemble, cut the pastry shells in half lengthwise. Fill each half with the custard or cream and top with the chocolate. The eclairs can be served immediately or refrigerated until ready to serve. They can also be frozen for up to 3 months.
Chocolate eclairs are a delicious and easy-to-make pastry that is sure to be a hit with family and friends. With a light and crispy choux pastry shell, a rich and creamy custard or cream, and a thick layer of chocolate, this dessert is sure to satisfy any sweet tooth.