Delicious Lemon Meringue Cupcakes – The Best Recipe for Your Sweet Tooth
Lemon Meringue Cupcakes are a delicious twist on the classic dessert. These fluffy cupcakes have a sweet and tart lemon flavor, with a light and airy meringue topping. The combination of flavors and textures make these cupcakes an ideal treat for any occasion.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
Making the Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the lemon zest, vanilla extract, and lemon juice.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients in three additions, alternating with the buttermilk and beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Beat until just combined.
- Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool for 10 minutes, then remove the cupcakes from the pan and let cool completely before topping with meringue.
Making the Meringue Topping
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar on medium-high speed until soft peaks form.
- With the mixer running, slowly add the sugar and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spoon the meringue onto the cooled cupcakes and spread to the edges. Use a kitchen torch to lightly brown the meringue, if desired.
These Lemon Meringue Cupcakes are sure to be a hit at your next gathering. The combination of the tart lemon flavor and sweet meringue topping make these cupcakes irresistible. Enjoy!