Deliciously Tangy Lemon Gingerbread Cookies: A Sweet Treat for Any Occasion
Lemon Gingerbread Cookies are one of the most delicious and unique cookie recipes around. Not only do they have a unique flavor, but they are also incredibly easy to make. The combination of sweet and tart flavors makes these cookies a real treat!
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup molasses
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease two baking sheets.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla extract. Stir in lemon zest.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, ginger, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Gradually add to creamed mixture, stirring until well blended. Stir in molasses.
- Drop dough by teaspoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in preheated oven. Cool on wire racks.
These Lemon Gingerbread Cookies are great served with a glass of cold milk or a cup of hot tea. They also make a wonderful addition to any holiday cookie tray. For a special treat, try topping them with a dollop of lemon curd or cream cheese frosting.
- To make rolling out the cookie dough easier, chill it for 30 minutes before rolling.
- You can use a cookie cutter to cut out the cookies before baking.
- If you prefer a less tart cookie, reduce the amount of lemon zest.