Delicious Lemon Custard Cake Recipe
Lemon custard cake is a classic cake that has been around for centuries. It is a delicious and easy-to-make treat that can be enjoyed by everyone. The cake is light and fluffy with a creamy, tart lemon custard filling that is a perfect complement to the sweet cake.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Instructions for the Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour one 9 inch round cake pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the milk, lemon zest, and vanilla.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture and beat until just blended.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Instructions for the Lemon Custard Filling
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Whisk in the egg yolks and lemon juice until well blended.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and boils. Boil for one minute, then remove from heat.
- Stir in the butter and lemon zest. Cool to room temperature.
- When the cake has cooled, cut it in half horizontally and spread the lemon custard over the bottom half.
- Replace the top half of the cake and refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.
- For an extra burst of flavor, add a teaspoon of lemon extract to the cake batter.
- For a light and airy texture, beat the egg whites separately until stiff peaks form and fold them into the cake batter before baking.
- This cake can be frozen for up to three months.
Lemon custard cake is a classic treat that is sure to please. The tart lemon custard is a perfect complement to the sweet cake and is sure to be a hit with family and friends. Enjoy!