The Best Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp Recipe You’ll Ever Try
Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp is a classic, easy-to-make dessert that is sure to be a hit with family and friends. It’s the perfect combination of sweet and tart, and the crunchy topping adds a delightful texture to the dish. The best part is, it only takes a few simple ingredients and minimal effort to make a delicious dessert that’s sure to impress.
To make a strawberry rhubarb crisp, you’ll need:
- 2 cups of fresh rhubarb, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 cups of fresh strawberries, chopped
- 3/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup of light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup of cold butter, cubed
To make the strawberry rhubarb crisp, follow these steps:
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease an 8-inch square baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine the rhubarb, strawberries, granulated sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Mix until combined.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, and butter. Using a fork, cut the butter into the oat mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle the oat mixture over the top of the fruit mixture in the baking dish.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the fruit mixture is bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and let cool before serving.
Strawberry rhubarb crisp can be served warm or cold. It can be enjoyed as-is, or topped with a scoop of ice cream or whipped cream for an extra special treat.
Tips and Variations
Using Frozen Fruit
If you don’t have fresh fruit on hand, frozen rhubarb and strawberries can be used instead. Just make sure to thaw them before using.
To add some crunch and extra flavor to the crisp, try adding 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts or pecans to the oat topping.
Adding a Streusel Topping
For an extra special treat, try adding a streusel topping. To make the streusel, mix together 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup of light brown sugar, 1/4 cup of cold butter, cubed, and 1/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon. Sprinkle the streusel over the top of the crisp before baking.