Tiramisu 9 Word Cookies: The Perfect Treat!
Tiramisu 9 Word Cookies is a unique combination of two classic Italian desserts. The name “Tiramisu” is derived from the Italian phrase “tirami sù”, which literally means “pick me up”. This dessert is made up of a light sponge cake soaked in espresso, layered with a creamy mixture of mascarpone cheese, eggs, sugar, and cocoa powder. The “9 Word Cookies” part of the name refers to the nine words that make up the recipe: espresso, mascarpone, egg, sugar, cocoa, butter, cream, cake, and ladyfingers.
- 1 cup espresso
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 sponge cake, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 20 ladyfingers, split in half lengthwise
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the espresso, mascarpone cheese, egg yolks, and sugar until well blended.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold the egg whites into the espresso mixture until blended.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the cocoa powder and whisk until blended. Add the cream and stir until blended. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Spread half of the cooled cocoa mixture on the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan. Arrange the cake cubes in a single layer over the cocoa mixture.
- Spread the remaining cocoa mixture over the cake cubes. Arrange the ladyfinger halves in a single layer over the cocoa mixture.
- Pour the espresso mixture over the ladyfingers. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
- When ready to serve, remove the sides of the springform pan and cut into wedges.
Tiramisu 9 Word Cookies can be served as a dessert or a snack. For an extra special treat, top with a dollop of whipped cream and a dusting of cocoa powder. It can also be served with a side of fresh berries or a scoop of ice cream.
- Make sure to use a good quality espresso for best results.
- If you don’t have a springform pan, you can use a 9-inch round cake pan.
- If you don’t have ladyfingers, you can substitute with graham crackers.
- The Tiramisu 9 Word Cookies can be made up to two days ahead of time.